Edibles: What You Need to Know


Most people are familiar with the term ‘edibles’, but not everyone actually knows what edibles are, the types of edibles you can consume, and what their purpose is. Edibles or edible cannabis products are products containing cannabinoids that you eat or drink. Cannabinoids are chemical compounds found in cannabis that have an affect on your mind and body when consumed. For example, THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) is a cannabinoid that creates a euphoric feeling or intoxication (high). Edibles can contain both THC and CBD or one or the other.

Before we move on, an important note we’d like to make when it comes to edibles is to take it slow. Many people will try an edible for the first time and after 30 minutes or so, not feeling anything, so they take more. The affects of an edible can take time, anywhere from 60 to 90 minutes for absorption. If you take too much too soon, you can lose your ability to function normally or become incapacitated.

Most edible products will have the THC amount listed on the packaging so it’s always best to read what exactly is in the product you’re about to consume. Make sure you know the ratio of THC to CBD (the 1:1) in a product so that you know your ingestion rate.

Did You Know…

Edibles are the preferred way of consuming medical marijuana, mainly because no smoking or inhaling are required. While we don’t carry edibles in our clinic, we can direct you to reputable places that sell edible products. We also have a nurse on staff who can help patients understand what and how much to take and for which ailment. If you have a question, we should have an answer. And if not, we’ll find the right person to answer it for you.

Read on to learn more about edibles and the law.

Edibles and the Law

The following content is from the State of Michigan – Cannabis Regulatory Agency’s Advisory Bulletin.

The intent of this bulletin is to publish guidelines for shelf stable edible marijuana products in

accordance with the administrative rules. The Cannabis Regulatory Agency (CRA) may issue

future lists or bulletins that supersede this bulletin.

Rule 3(11) in the Marihuana-Infused Products and Edible Marihuana Product Rule

Set – R 420.403(11)

A producer shall not produce an edible marihuana product that requires time and temperature

control for safety. The agency may publish validation guidance for shelf stable edible marihuana

products. The agency may request to review the validation study for a shelf stable edible

marihuana product. The end-product must be a shelf stable edible marihuana product and state

the following information:

(a) A product expiration date, upon which the edible marihuana product is no longer fit for

consumption and after which it must be destroyed. Once a label with an expiration date

has been affixed to an edible marihuana product, a licensee shall not alter that expiration

date or affix a new label with a later expiration date.

The requirements in this bulletin do not apply to vape products, defined as the marihuana

concentrate in the e-cigarette or vaping device which is intended for vapor inhalation.

Rule 3(8) of the Marihuana-Infused Products and Edible Marihuana Product Rule

Set – R 420.403(8)

Foods that require refrigeration for safety to prevent the growth of microorganisms and the

production of toxins cannot be produced as edible marijuana products. These products are

predisposed to the growth of microorganisms – bacteria, protozoa, and some fungi – and the

production of toxins that can cause illness. Toxins are any poison produced by an organism,

including the bacterial toxins that are the causative agents of botulism. Here are examples of

products that may NOT be produced as an edible marijuana product:

• Hummus

• Garlic in oil mixtures

• Ice and ice products including ice cream

• Pies/cakes that require refrigeration (banana cream, pumpkin, lemon meringue, custard)

• Cheesecake and cakes with glaze and/or frosting that requires refrigeration

• Vegetable jams/jellies such as hot pepper jelly

• Milk and dairy products like butter, cheese, and yogurt

• Canned fruit or vegetable butters like pumpkin and apple butter

• Focaccia style breads with fresh vegetables and/or cheeses

• Meat and meat products like fresh and dried meats (jerky)

• Fish and fish products like smoked fish

• Cut melons

• Caramel apples

• Cut tomatoes and chopped/shredded leafy greens

• Products made from fresh cut tomatoes, cut melons, and cut leafy greens

• Products made with cooked vegetable products that are not canned

Here are examples of products that MAY be produced:

• Breads, cookies, muffins, and cakes

• Cooked fruit pies, including pie crusts made with butter, lard or shortening

• Fruit jams and jellies (as defined in 21 CFR part 150) in glass jars that can be stored at

room temperature (except vegetable and other non-fruit-based jams/jellies)

• Confections and sweets (made without alcohol)

• Dry herbs, herb mixtures, dip, and soup mixes

• Popcorn, granola, coated/uncoated nuts, dehydrated vegetables, and fruits

• Chocolate covered pretzels, marshmallows, graham crackers and cereal bars

• Dried pasta made with or without eggs

• Roasted coffee beans or ground roasted coffee

• Vinegars and flavored vinegars

Some products require additional processing steps to be shelf stable. To be shelf stable,

perishable food must be treated by heat and/or dried to destroy foodborne microorganisms

that can cause illness or spoil food. The agency requires proof that products in this category

have been processed properly to prevent foodborne illness. Products in this category cannot

be produced without agency approval.

Here are examples of edible marijuana products that will need additional processing to be

shelf stable:

• Salad dressings

• Sauces and condiments, including barbeque sauce, hot sauce, ketchup, and


• All beverages, including fruit/vegetable juices, Kombucha tea and apple cider

• Canned pickled products like corn relish, pickles, and sauerkraut

• Canned fruits and vegetables like salsa and canned peaches

The items in this bulletin are a representative list and this list is not intended to be exhaustive.

Questions may be sent to the Cannabis Regulatory Agency Operations Support Section via

email at CRA-Compliance@michigan.gov

As always, thank you for visiting our blog – we’re happy to have you!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>